In today’s Whiteboard Friday, the content types are explained and how to use them to satisfy searcher intent, match them to the right projects, and enhance the overall strategy. The types of content, content formats that tend to work well for SEO are discussed below. It is important for those who are doing content strategy and content marketing and choosing which content formats you should potentially use. The 10 content formats that are familiar and appears regularly include:
- Blog posts and those could have regular updates or be republished on a regular basis
An example is, Live $ Dare’s Benefits of Meditation(ranks for Meditation Benefits)
- Short-form evergreen content and articles
An example is, Jim Collin’s Piece on Big, Hairy, Audacious Goals(ranks for BHAH)
- Long-form articles
An example is, (ranks for Fermi Paradox)
- Photo and visual galleries, a lot of these are ranking, especially for things that lent themselves to it, for example if you were to search for men’s haircuts styles.
An example is, Right Hairstyle’s 100 Cool Short Hairstyles for Men/ (ranks for men’s hair styles)
- Detailed and information-rich lists of information
An example is the Wareable’s Best Fitness Trackers of 2016 (ranks for Fitness Trackers)
- Interactive tools and content, got some good examples of those.
An example is theZoopla’s House Prices Tool(ranks for property prices)
- Comprehensive category landers, so this would be like if you search for kitchen designs, how you might land on Houzz’s page of various kitchen designs and that’s really a lander to get you into more content, so it’s not technically a content marketing piece by itself, but it leads you into content pieces or could.
An example is the HGTV’s Kitchen Ideas (ranks for kitchen remodeling ideas)
- Multi-page guides, things like Moz’s Beginner’s Guide to SEO, there exist some other examples too.
An example is,Bates University’s “Painless Guide to Statistics” (ranks for statistics guide)
- Data or complex information that is visualized
An example is , CNN’s Election Results (ranks for election results 2016)
- Video, YouTube or embedded video on a particular page, Whiteboard Friday itself being an example of that.
Whiteboard Friday itself (ranks for Unique Content)
There exist an eleventh format that is not recommended even though it is search results quite often. The format is the formal research documents that are usually PDFs or Powerpoints.The reason it is not recommended is because they are hard to parse.They’re particularly hard to open on mobile devices. They’re not very user-friendly, and most of the time the reason they rank well is simply because they’re cited by lots of other things. But when you see content marketers invest in one of these spaces and make a document in one of these other formats that’s better and more comprehensive and more useful and more user-friendly, they do a much better job and they tend to rank better too. The following are important notes to take:
- Don’t ignore new formats.
- Recognize that you shouldn’t just use a format because it’s new.
- Learn from who’s already ranking
- Do not copy somebody else’s format because it’s easy to do and familiar.
- Look at these content formats and finding ways to get a competitive advantage from them.
- Do use a multi-keyword approach in this analysis.